新中年事工委員會成員: Eddie Yan (Chair, CCCO), Salina Yan (CCCO), Ivy Chan (EACO), Andrew Ho (EACO), Robin & Christable Lau (OCAC), Eric Ling & May Ng (CCCO); Lay Adviser: George Kong (CCCO); Pastoral Adviser: Rev. Gerald Chan (OCAC)
Ottawa New Middle Age Ministry Communique
This Communique has core information to communicate with Pastors, Elders, Fellowship Leaders, or Christian at-large to help them understand the vision, goal, and work of NMA Ministry and to support/collaborate with church’s ministries.
Background of the New Middle-Age Ministry
• The ‘New Middle-Age’ term here refers to the cohort between 55-75 years old or in short 50+
• In 2016, God led a group of Chinese Christians and pastors to see the growing number of retirees and pre-retirees among the churches’ Cantonese-speaking congregations. They have a burden to engage them to rethink retirement from a typical ‘North America Retirement Dream’ of golf and cruises to a much bigger, better, everlasting ‘God’s Kingdom Retirement Dream’, that is, actively investing our lives in God’s Kingdom work in their ‘Golden Years’ life and also living a healthy, active, and significant life. Hence, the NMA Committee was formed to champion and promote this initiative
• Concurrently, the NMA vision is also echoed by: Rev. Gerald Chan in his DMin. Thesis ‘The Tribe of Caleb’ re: the Cantonese Christians retirees, by Rev. James Leung in his workshops given in Toronto/Montreal/Van, and also Rev. Warren Lai in his former Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church among the retirees/senior groups etc.
As a para-church organization, the Gracious Light Christian Centre (“GLCC”) supports inter-church events to serve Christians and to reach out to non-Christians. In this regard, GLCC has partnered with the NMA Ministry in all the events being held in 2017. GLCC receive donations and issue expenses cheques for NMA Ministries events.
It is hope that the GLCC – NMA partnership will mutually raise each other’s profile amongst the Cantonese-speaking Christians in the city.
Unique characteristics of the Ottawa Chinese Christians NMA Group
• There is a high proportion of public service workers in Ottawa with the privilege of early retirement yet enjoy generous pensions and retirement benefits
• Relative to other Canadian cities per capita, the Ottawa group has obtained more education, stable/better employment in government, hi-tech, or private sector and have a healthy sustainable retirement income
• Accumulated a wealth of life’s resources (knowledge, skills, experience, finance, network, spiritual journey)
• Need a clear focus in retirement that is God’s mission-oriented, intentional, meaningful, and productive
• Those transitioning to retirement or early retirement (If God permits, we) still have 20+ years of healthy and productive life
Goal of the NMA Ministry
To motivate and mobilize the churches’ Cantonese-speaking retirees/pre-retirees to have a mission-minded focus engaging and equipping in God’s Kingdom work to serve Christ’s church, the community, and God’s global missions.
NMA Committee: Eddie Yan (Chair, CCCO), Salina Yan (CCCO), Ivy Chan (EACO), Andrew Ho (EACO), Robin & Christable Lau (OCAC), Eric Ling & May Ng (CCCO); Lay Adviser: George Kong (CCCO); Pastoral Adviser: Rev. Gerald Chan (OCAC)
這徽標融合了“新”與“舊” --- 而主耶穌基督是我們事工的中心！徽標的「中」字用傳統字體展示出“舊”的優雅，而金色弧旋型設計寓意著當今是“嶄新”的時代，結尾處還帶有“一點”。不同深淺的金色代表著我們服侍不同年紀的“金齡”世代。 結尾的“一點”意味著我們未完成的使命、信仰傳承 . . . !
Meaning of our Ministry logo
This logo blends "new" and "old" --- and the Lord Jesus Christ is the center of our ministry! The word "中" in the logo uses traditional font to show the elegance of the "old", while the contemporary golden arc-shaped swoosh design signifies we are living in a "new" era, with a "dot" at the end. Different shades of gold represent our ministry focuses on diversified groups of "golden agers". The "dot" at the end indicates our unfinished mission and faith legacy …!