新中年事工委員會成員: Eddie Yan (Chair, CCCO), Salina Yan (CCCO), Charles Lam (CCCO), Ivy Chan (EACO), Andrew Ho (EACO), Eric Ling & May Ng (CCCO); Julia Kong (CCCO), Lay Adviser: George Kong (CCCO); Pastoral Adviser: Rev. Gerald Chan (OCAC)
Abundant New Middle Age Ministry Communique
This Communique has core information to communicate with Pastors, Elders, Fellowship Leaders, or Christian at-large to help them understand the vision, goal, and work of NMA Ministry and to support/collaborate with church’s ministries.
Background of the New Middle-Age Ministry
• The ‘New Middle-Age’ term here refers to the cohort between 55-75 years old or in short 50+
• In 2016, God led a group of Chinese Christians and pastors to see the growing number of retirees and pre-retirees among the churches’ Cantonese-speaking congregations. They have a burden to engage them to rethink retirement from a typical ‘North America Retirement Dream’ of golf and cruises to a much bigger, better, everlasting ‘God’s Kingdom Retirement Dream’, that is, actively investing our lives in God’s Kingdom work in their ‘Golden Years’ life and also living a healthy, active, and significant life. Hence, the NMA Committee was formed to champion and promote this initiative
• Concurrently, the NMA vision is also echoed by: Rev. Gerald Chan in his DMin. Thesis ‘The Tribe of Caleb’ re: the Cantonese Christians retirees, by Rev. James Leung in his workshops given in Toronto/Montreal/Van, and also Rev. Warren Lai in his former Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church among the retirees/senior groups etc.
As a para-church organization, the Gracious Light Christian Centre (“GLCC”) supports inter-church events to serve Christians and to reach out to non-Christians. In this regard, GLCC has partnered with the NMA Ministry in all the events being held in 2017. GLCC receive donations and issue expenses cheques for NMA Ministries events.
It is hope that the GLCC – NMA partnership will mutually raise each other’s profile amongst the Cantonese-speaking Christians in the city.
Unique characteristics of the Ottawa Chinese Christians NMA Group
• There is a high proportion of public service workers in Ottawa with the privilege of early retirement yet enjoy generous pensions and retirement benefits
• Relative to other Canadian cities per capita, the Ottawa group has obtained more education, stable/better employment in government, hi-tech, or private sector and have a healthy sustainable retirement income
• Accumulated a wealth of life’s resources (knowledge, skills, experience, finance, network, spiritual journey)
• Need a clear focus in retirement that is God’s mission-oriented, intentional, meaningful, and productive
• Those transitioning to retirement or early retirement (If God permits, we) still have 20+ years of healthy and productive life
Goal of the NMA Ministry
To motivate and mobilize the churches’ Cantonese-speaking retirees/pre-retirees to have a mission-minded focus engaging and equipping in God’s Kingdom work to serve Christ’s church, the community, and God’s global missions.
NMA Committee: Eddie Yan (Chair, CCCO), Salina Yan (CCCO), Charles Lam (CCCO), Ivy Chan (EACO), Andrew Ho (EACO), Eric Ling & May Ng (CCCO); Julia Kong (CCCO), Lay Adviser: George Kong (CCCO); Pastoral Adviser: Rev. Gerald Chan (OCAC)
Meaning of our Ministry logo
This logo blends "new" and "old" --- and the Lord Jesus Christ is the center of our new middle age! The word "中" in the logo uses traditional font to show the elegance of the "old", the maple leaf outline next to it represents Canada, and the different shades of golden autumn color in the maple leaf outline represent the new "golden” new middle age generation we serve.